background

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Spring Herbs....Reduce, Re-use, Re-cycle!

Spring is in the air.  Well, almost.  Here in NE Oklahoma, it is that time of year where one day may have snow and the next be 60 degrees.  The closer we get to March, the more I lean toward spring.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's called SUNSHINE!

I've already started herb seeds in anticipation of loads of beautiful pots of various herbs amongst flowers.  I used this idea I saw on Pinterest and it is working magnificently. The little sprouts LOVE it!  I just used the plastic container that I bought spring mix in at Sam's Club.  I also used a cardboard egg carton for the seedlings, which can easily be torn apart when it is time to plant them. 

Unfortunately, my own photos will not upload.  (smirk)

Here is a similar idea, using the container from a rotisserie chicken.  Hadn't thought of that one!

http://readbetweenthelimes.blogspot.com/2012/03/repurposing-containers-for-seed.html

Pinned Image

Here is another good idea for recycling....use toilet paper/paper towel cardboard rolls!

Pinned Image

This is so much cheaper than buying herbs at a plant farm or festival.  Consider $2.50 - $4.00 for a single 4-inch container of ONE herb compared with the dozens of plants you can get from one packet of seeds for a dollar!  Plus you get to reuse and recycle all these containers!

No comments:

Post a Comment